(this blog details my summer experience of of 2009. if you want to read it for some reason, i recommend that you do so chronologically, starting with the oldest post.)

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cruel world

A few days ago we visited one of our partner NGOs that operates in one of Chennai's slums. Located on the bank of a filthy river the slum is about a quarter of a square mile and packed with about 1,500 homes. I don't have any pictures of the slum itself because it would have been too disrespectful to take pictures of these people when I was, very obviously, a rich visitor.

Before we entered the slum we were greeted by a throng of slum kids. These interactions, like those with the children at the HIV orpanages, are both beautiful and heartbreaking and have left my heart heavy and overwhelmed. The complexity of the emotions that I have felt is not something that I can aptly describe, but it leaves me anxious to start working with both groups of kids (slums and orphanage) on my own time outside of the education work that my team is doing.

I could ramble on for a long time about my thoughts on these beautiful children and hand that life has dealt them but pictures will probably do a better job.














3 comments:

  1. oh. thanks for the pictures. i'm glad you're there. love, n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preston, beautiful, beautiful children. Bless you for wanting to spend time with them. I suspect you'll never be the same again. Thank you! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing for taking so many photos. When I was in Guadalajara for five months, I did not take a single picture! I find myself unable to pause long enough to take pictures, but it's very important to do it! With all of your pictures and your wonderful narration, it's like I'm there with you. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete