(this blog details my summer experience of of 2009. if you want to read it for some reason, i recommend that you do so chronologically, starting with the oldest post.)

Saturday, May 30, 2009

See for yourself!

Hellz yeah! Picture upload successful!

Before we get to that, I have to tell you about the delicious drink that I'm enjoying... Just when I thought that the day couldn't get any better, a genius on the side of the road starts cracking open fresh coconuts, blending the milk with ice and tossing in fresh boba. Brilliant fatty goodness!


Ok, ok. Onto the pictures. Had I been able to upload them as they were taken, I would have presented them to you in chronological order, walking you through my days. However, since we're playing a game of catch-up, I'm just going to start shooting and let God sort 'em out.

First, this is Teta. She took me to the airport. She is very nice.




Section 1, Hong Kong views from the street...


















Section 2, Man Ho! Apparently, Hong Kong has a lousy track record for the preservation of historical sites. One of the few that has been preserved is the Man Ho Temple, built in the 18th century, now surrounded by high rise apartments and commercial spaces. It serves to worship two gods, Man Cheung and Kwan Yu, the gods of literature and war, respectively.














Section 3, fine art! Since I'm doing Hong Kong on the cheap, the art that I've seen is on the street, not in museums...










Section 4, epic views. The first three are taken from atop Victoria Peak, the fourth is taken from the 43rd floor of the China Bank building, and the last is taken from Kowloon, across the bay.












Section 5, random shit.




















Whew! I'm glad to be caught up. It's my last night in Hong Kong, not quite sure what to do. The nightlife here seems exciting but I feel like a total loser going into busy places alone. There are surprisingly few young tourists so my opportunities for fleeting friends are slim to none.

No worries, though! I'm off to Thailand tomorrow for five or six days before I arrive in India for two months. I'm not sure what kind of access I'll have to the internet while I'm in Thailand, so it might be a few days before my next blog. Thanks for reading.

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Preston, oh my goodness, your photos are amazing! It's interesting that the architecture is so similar to Vancouver, BC. Figures since so many Chinese have immigrated from HK to Van. THANK YOU! Your writing plus the shots make for delicious company while I sip coffee. =) Leaving for Van tomorrow. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the photos. what a crazy-large-beautiful-bizarre city. hope you found a few young kids for your last night and enjoy the change of pace in thailand. i wish i was there.
    love,
    n

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible wall-art // "graffiti"!

    Re: "Tempe dreaming"! // Your body was in Hong Kong, your brain was in Tempe. // Want to get burritos tonight? (In spirit only, of course). // Ironically, I ate Thai food yesterday, and there are possibly leftovers in the fridge. Are you calling dibs?

    ReplyDelete