(this blog details my summer experience of of 2009. if you want to read it for some reason, i recommend that you do so chronologically, starting with the oldest post.)

Friday, May 29, 2009

Look around

Well, I took a lot of pictures today. I bought a new memory stick adapter card and was very excited to write this blog and upload the pictures to share with you. Yeah, you can probably guess where this is going. Lo and behold, it's not the right size, AGAIN! I'm going to try my luck with a USB cable, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm so sorry. I'm a bad person, and an even worse blogger.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words... but instead of boring you with 15,000 words in lieu of the pictures that I would have posted, I'll just tell you, in brief, that I explored the city today. This place is big, tall, screaming, modern, and full of juxtapositions. Aspects of it are as western as beer pong and cargo shorts. Apparently, this is the trend in China's “special economic zones” where capitalism is allowed to run rampant. (Of course, I've never been here before, so what the hell do I know?) The influence from 150 years of English rule is, still, very apparent... there's King's Road, Queen's Road, St John's Cathedral, and a tea museum located in an old colonial building. When it's safe to use the crosswalks, the Casio mandolin sound blares from tiny speakers.

I slept hard for almost ten hours last night, during which I had no less than two really intense dreams. One of the dreams found me at a friend's house in Tempe with tons of Tempeople. (It was James Fella's house, for those of you that know him.) The dream became lucid and I was running around like a moron, telling everyone that I wasn't really in Tempe, but that I was asleep and dreaming in Hong Kong.

Now I'm just rambling, talking about stupid dreams. Riveting, I'm sure.

I promise that this will get a lot more interesting when I can upload a damn picture or two.

As for now, I'm going to check out the nightlife as I am, apparently, staying in a trendy part of town.

Love you.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, your writing IS riveting; big, tall, screaming, juxtapositions. Love it! I imagine the nightlife will be an experience. Wow. Loving you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. i'm so glad you're doing this. cannot wait to see photos! weird dream, for sure.

    ReplyDelete